Choosing Upper Darby
This area of the site provides an overview of things to consider when Starting a Small Business in Upper Darby. Included are the Regulations & Procedures, as well as Zoning, Licenses and Permits that affect most small business, as well as additional resources that may be of use.
The Guide on Starting a Small Business is also Available in the Following Languages:
This project was financed by a grant for the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania, Department of Community and Economic Development obtained through the Foundation of the Delaware County Chamber.
Starting a Business
Before You Begin
Think about basic business operations:
- Identify your potential location(s), but do not invest money until you understand the zoning requirements. If your business is not correctly zoned, you will need to spend additional time and money seeking a zoning variance.
- Know the law. Federal, state, and local laws regulate business operations, including taxes, employees, and sale of controlled substances, such as alcohol or firearms.
- Estimate your weekly revenue and expenses. Get a general sense of how much you will be earning and spending during the first year of operation.
- Consider creating a business plan. With a business plan, you may be eligible for loans, grants, and other financing options. See page 12 for a list of organizations that can help you.
- Find equipment sources and develop relationships with wholesalers.
- Look into business insurance options to protect against damages, crime, or loss of income.
As You Plan
Meet with Upper Darby Township staff before you invest money in your business or finalize your plans. L&I staff will help you understand the zoning regulations and identify the certificates, permits, and licenses you will need to open your business. If your business will sell or handle food, Public Health Department staff will help you understand food establishment regulations and what you will need to do to obtain your license.
Registering Your Business – For All Businesses
To conduct business in Upper Darby, you must register your new business with the Upper Darby Finance Department and get a Business Privilege License. This license must be renewed each year. Contact the Finance Department by calling 610-734-7618 for an application.
The Finance Department also can help you understand the local taxes you will need to pay for your business. The Finance Department is located at 100 Garrett Road, Room 212, Upper Darby, PA 19082.
You must also register your new business entity and business name with the State of Pennsylvania and get a sales tax license. To get the forms you will need, contact the Pennsylvania Department of Revenue by calling 610-619-8018 or 717-787-1064 or go to the Pennsylvania Open for Business website: https://business.pa.gov/
If you plan to hire employees, you will need to get an Employer Identification Number (EIN ) from the U.S. Internal Revenue Service (IRS ). For an application, call the IRS at 800-829-4933 or apply online at www.irs.gov/businesses/small/article/0,,id=102767,00.html.
As an employer you will also have tax obligations such as tax withholding and unemployment compensation. To learn more and get the forms you need, contact the Pennsylvania Department of Revenue by calling 610-619-8018 or 717-787-1064 or go to: https://business.pa.gov/